To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of New Cordell, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of New Cordell hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

  1. Zoning Clearance Permit Application (No Fee)
    1. A Zoning Clearance Permit needs to be done for each project that requires a building permit to make sure the property is properly zoned for the project.
      1. If property is properly zoned for project Zoning Administrator will approve Zoning Clearance Permit and you should proceed to Building Permit Application.
      2. If property is not properly zoned for the project Zoning Administrator will not approve the Zoning Clearance Permit and you can submit an application for a variance or exemption from the current zoning requirements or discontinue the project. The application for variance or exemption will require a public hearing before any recommendation can be made to the city council.  Final approval of any exemption or variance will be done by the City Council.


  1. Is my project exempt from the building permit process? If yes, nothing else is required, however the building inspector will conduct a safety inspection at homeowners’ request.  If project is not exempt from the building permit process continue on to step 3.


  1. Building Permit Application (Residential $50.00 Fee, Commercial $100.00 Fee)
    1. Once approval has been obtained for Zoning Clearance (either by permit approval or a variance/exemption by the City Council) you need to submit a Building Permit Application.
    2. Building Permit Application needs to be filled out as completely as needed for the specific project. A drawing to represent the project needs to accompany the application.
    3. Building Permit Application fee will be paid at the City Hall when the application is received.
    4. Building Permit Application will be considered by Building Inspector.
    5. Schedule with building inspector the “on site” visit.


  1. On site visit with building inspector.
    1. Building inspector will make the first on site visit, if the building site meets requirements a building permit will be issued at this visit.
    2. Additional Permits could be required for Electrical, Plumbing or Mechanical. ($25.00 Fee Each)
      1. Electrical, Plumbing or Mechanical contractors will need to obtain specific permits.
      2. All contractors are responsible to schedule inspections with the building inspector. If repeat inspections for same work are required an additional charge of $20.00 each will be made.
    3. Building inspector will make inspections of the project and issue a certificate of occupancy when project is completely approved.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of New Cordell please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.